Pottawattamie County


The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) is a federal law that makes it easier for members of the armed forces and certain overseas U.S. citizens to register to vote and cast absentee ballots.

UOCAVA voters include:

Military Members and Overseas Voters: It’s Almost Time to Vote!

Absentee ballots for the November 3rd General Election will be sent to military and overseas voters by September 19, 2020. To make sure your voted ballot has enough time to get here, we recommend you send it back by:

Ballots must be postmarked by November 2nd and received by November 9th to be accepted. All correctly completed ballots received by the deadline are counted.

If you don’t get your ballot in time, you can use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as a backup ballot.

Registering to Vote

The first step to voting in Iowa is to register to vote.  The best way to register to vote for military members and overseas citizens is by completing a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).  The FPCA is a form you can use to register to vote and request absentee ballots for the year.

Military and overseas voters are eligible to register and vote in Pottawattamie County if they currently have a permanent address in the county or if the last address they had in the United States was in Pottawattamie County.  If you are a U.S. citizen who has never resided in the U.S. you are still eligible to vote in Iowa if your parent or legal guardian’s last residence in the States was in Iowa.

Requesting a Ballot

The easiest way to request a ballot for UOCAVA voters is by submitting an FPCA form.  The FPCA form, in addition to registering you to vote, will allow you to request a ballot for each election in that calendar year.  We recommend you submit this form each year and every time you move.  You may mail, fax, email or drop-off the completed FPCA form.

As an overseas citizen or member of the military, you may have your ballot mailed, faxed or e-mailed to you.  It is important that you mark your delivery preference on the FPCA form.

Most UOCAVA voters must return their voted ballot by mail. In order to submit your ballot electronically, you must either be an active member of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Merchant Marine, Coast Guard, Air Force, or Iowa National Guard and be outside the U.S. or any of its territories or be located in an area designated as an “imminent danger pay area” by the U.S. Department of Defense.

Additional Resources

This webpage was printed on August 4, 2020. For the most current election-related information, visit the Pottawattamie County, Iowa, Elections website at elections.pottcounty-ia.gov.
powered by Neapolitan Labs