Pottawattamie County

Secretary of State Mails No Activity Notices

N E W S   R E L E A S E

April 25, 2019

Important Voter File Maintenance Mailing

Earlier this month, the Secretary of State's office mailed cards to Pottawattamie County voters who have had no activity in the last four years, and the Pottawattamie County Election Office needs the public's help to keep the voter rolls up to date.

This annual "Four Year No Activity" mailing is required by law. It is very important that you check the box that applies, make notes if needed, sign the card – no changes can be made unless you sign it - and return it to the Election Office.

IF your Four Year No Activity card is returned to our office as undeliverable:

Your voter registration record will be placed on inactive status. This is a preliminary step to cancellation.

Voters remain on the rolls with inactive status through two general elections. If you try to vote, you will be asked to update your registration. You will then be returned to active status.

If you get a card for someone who doesn't live at your address:

Indicate on the reply card that the person does not live at your address, sign the card, and return it to the Election Office. They will then place the person on inactive status. However, they can't completely cancel the registration without the voter's own signature unless:

If the card is not returned, the law requires that the county assume that the person still lives there. The person may not be taken off the rolls for another four years. (Political campaigns will also assume the person still lives there, so you'll probably get mailings and phone calls.)

If you get a Four Year No Activity card for yourself and your address is correct:

You don't have to do anything. The fact that you got the card indicates that you are still registered with Active status.

If you get a Four Year No Activity and the address is incorrect:

Check the box marked "I am the person named above but I no longer live at the address listed." Fill in your new street address and sign the card.

If your new address is inside Pottawattamie County, your voter registration record will be updated and you will receive a new voter card. This will show up as activity on your voter registration record.

If your new address is outside Pottawattamie County, your voter registration will be cancelled. IMPORTANT: This does not register you to vote in your new community! You will need to re-register at your new address.  Follow this link to register online or download a voter registration form:


If you fill out a paper form, send it to your county auditor.  This link gets you to the addresses of all 99 Iowa county auditors:


Common Issues

The law is designed to make it hard to cancel someone's voter registration without their knowledge. This is a good thing but it has some unintended consequences that make certain voters especially hard to inactivate and cancel:

Please contact the Election Office, 712-328-5700 option 3, with any questions

More News

Absentee Ballot Drop Box Moved for 2020 General Election

October 8, 2020

Satellite Voting For 2020 General Election

October 8, 2020

Pottawattamie County announces two satellite voting locations for October 13th.

Absentee Ballot Request Forms to be Mailed

July 8, 2020

Polling Places Combined for 2020 Primary Election

May 27, 2020

Elections COVID-19 Update

Due to COVID-19 there have been significant changes to the way the 2020 Primary Election will be conducted.

New Absentee Ballot Drop Box

May 12, 2020

Pottawattamie County Elections has installed a new absentee ballot drop box outside of the Courthouse.

Secretary of State Mails all Active Voters Absentee Request Form

April 20, 2020

To fight the spread of COVID-19 and to encourage absentee voting by mail, Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate is sending absentee ballot request forms to every active voter for the June 2nd Primary Election.

National Change of Address Cards Mailed by Secretary of State

If you have moved in the last year, be on the lookout for a National Change of Address Card to update your voter registration.

County Candidate Filing

The filing period for county offices is now underway. Here you can find deadlines, signature requirements, and other usefull information.

2020 Iowa Caucus

The 2020 Iowa Caucus is fast approaching. Here's what you need to know.

New Voter Cards Mailed to all Active Voters

New Voter Registration Cards and City/School Election information have been mailed to all active voters.

Combination of City and School Elections

Due to a recent law change, city and school elections will now be combined into one election, held in November of odd-numbered years.

Polling Location Changes

Polling Locations for CB 13 and Macedonia have moved.

Pottawattamie County Elections Launches New Website

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

The Elections department is now on social media! Follow us to stay up-to-date on what's going on in the world of Pottawattamie County Elections.

Check Out Our New App

Our new election app is available on both Apple and Android phones for free! Our Where U Vote Pottawattamie page provides more details and download links.

Caucus Information

Caucuses are managed by the Republican and Democratic parties. For more information, visit their websites.

Voter ID and Election Law Changes

New Voter ID laws have taken effect for 2019. Make sure you know what you can expect when heading to the polls.
This webpage was printed on April 16, 2021. For the most current election-related information, visit the Pottawattamie County, Iowa, Elections website at elections.pottcounty-ia.gov.
powered by Neapolitan Labs